[[updated feb 17 to include info on redirecting old slashcode urls to the new drupal urls]]
Started as part of a workshop I did at the 3rd NYC Drupal Camp on converting to/from drupal, I have finally finished converting the Autonomedia/Interactivist Info Exchange site from slash to drupal. It will relaunch soon at http://info.interactivist.net
While it might have been somewhat more "correct" for me to have written a php script that bootstrapped drupal and then just grab the data and pass it through drupal's user and node api's, I was stubbornly determined to convert the site by only writing sql queries between the databases.
Part of my reasoning for doing this sql only was that converting thousands of nodes and users via the drupal api can take forever, where direct database manipulation is fast.
While I will write this up better later and post it to drupal.org, I wanted to get it up before I got distracted onto other tasks.
so, without further delay: here are the step by step notes I took as I went through the process.
[much thanks to Blake Carver of LIS News http://www.lisnews.org/ for the motivation to finish and the queries that populate the node and node revisions tables]